Sunday, January 4, 2015

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

It's always nice to get a free dose of motivation when the calendar resets.

We've made some good progress on the game so far - we have a semi-functioning battle game written in .NET that can be played through the command line.  The goals outlined in the first post are probably 80% complete.

Of course, there's a lot of code to be written for the AI, items and abilities, but the framework is there.  My philosophy with this game is to move fast and get a working structure in place, rather than fiddling around till something is 100%.

This month I'm going to be switching gears and mostly experimenting around in Unity.  I've done some small Unity projects in the past, but I'm a little rusty right now.  Spending some time in the environment is key to solving the big challenges I'll have down the line.

Here are my goals for January:

  • Unity
    • Get familiar  doing stuff in Unity
    • Accessing GameObject / Components
    • UI - user input, building menus, etc
    • Assets - Spritesets, animations, etc
  • Game
    • Linking the .NET gameworld to user entry / display in Unity


At the end of the month, I'd love to be able to load the game in Unity with an existing tileset (I'll be using the free Angbad TK spritesets from here ) and play using the mouse (move / attack).

No comments:

Post a Comment